2020 Tournament Welcome
Saturday 20th – Sunday 21st June 2020
At Berkshire County Sports, Sonning Lane, Reading RG4 6ST
Woodley Saints is a thriving community charter status football club based near Reading with deep roots in the local area. We have a reputation for setting the standards for running very popular and outstanding annual football tournaments. It was one of the reasons that we were the first club to be named Berks and Bucks Charter Standard Community Club of the Year. We offer separate competitions for strong, average and developing teams. Half of our 300+ entries come from clubs outside Berks & Bucks.
Some of the reasons for the tournament’s popularity include:
- more than one competition at most age groups, allowing teams to compete against those of similar ability
- a very experienced tournament team – 2020 is our 32nd tournament!
- only short breaks of about 20 – 30 minutes between league matches
- exceptional playing facilities in a beautiful setting
- various side stalls
- excellent refreshment facilities
- a reputation as a sporting and fun tournament run in a friendly atmosphere
- qualification of all teams for the knock-out stages at Under 9s and above
- quality individual medals and team trophies
- excellent first aid services provided by Pre-Med.
Formats and squad sizes
Under 7s (i.e. under 7 on 01.09.19) and Under 8s will play 6-a-side with squads of up to 9 players and will play 6 matches against teams of similar ability with all players receiving a participation medal. The top two teams in each league will play a challenge match for a team trophy.
Rising Under 7s will play in a festival format to enable clubs to stream teams for the 2020/21 season.
Under 9s and above will play 6-a-side with squads of up to 9 players. They will normally play 5 league matches. Then every team will enter a knock-out competition playing against teams who have had similar success. Individual medals will be presented to all winners and runners-up in the main play-offs and consolation competitions. There will be team trophies to keep for the winners of both the main play-offs and consolation competitions.
Competitions from U7s to U15s will be open to both male and female players. There will also be separate competitions for girls teams at U7/8, U9/10, U11/12 and U13/14s.
For most age groups depending on applications there will be separate competitions for strong (A), average (B), weak (C) and very weak (D) teams played over 16 pitches.
Provisional Tournament Schedule
Saturday 20th June
am: Under 7s, Under 11s, Girls Under 11/12 and Girls Under 13/14
pm: Under 9s, Under 13s and Under 15s
Sunday 21st June
am: Under 8s, Under 12s, Girls Under 7/8s and Girls Under 9/10s
pm: Under 6s, Under 10s and Under 14s
Entries will be accepted on-line from mid-January 2020. The entry fees:-
- Under 6s and Girls Teams – £20,
- Under 7 & 8s – £30,
- Under 9s and above £40
- Complete an Online Application Form for each team you wish to enter.
- You will receive confirmation of your ‘Provisional’ entry via email
- The Tournament Administrator for your age group will check availability in your age group and will via email either:
- If space is available: Send An Invitation email confirming a place has been allocated and giving payment details
- If space is not available: Send An email notifying you that you have been placed on a Waiting list
- Once Payment has been received, your place will be confirmed and you will receive an email confirming this
- THREE to FOUR weeks before the tournament, the fixtures will be made available on the Woodley Saints Website and you will be emailed to notify you of their availability
- Live match scores and tables will be available to follow on our website during the event.
Entries are accepted on a first-come first-served basis. The closing date for entries is 30th April 2020 although a few places may still be available after this date.
If you are unable to complete the on-line entry then you can download the appropriate entry form to either attach to an e-mail or to send by post with a cheque to the address detailed on the form. Click here to download the E-Mail Entry Form Form or Click here to download the Postal Entry Form
The Tournament Administrator will then add your team if spaces are available. An email address for correspondence will still be required.
Team Strengths and Tournament Preference
At most age groups there will be both an A tournament for stronger teams and a B tournament for other teams. At some age groups there may even be C and D competitions. You can indicate any preference you have on the Application Form based on your current league division and position.
When assessing your team’s strength, please remember that being ‘average’ in your F or G section/division is not the same as being average in our event, which frankly depends on the number and strength of applications we receive for an age group. As a guide, using the East Berks Football Alliance as an example:
Sections A – B would normally be A [Strong]
Sections C – D would normally be B [Average]
Sections E – F would normally be C [Weak]
Sections G – H would normally be D [Very Weak]